Gretchen Wilson Breaks Silence on Airport Arrest: 'I'm Saddened By the Whole Thing'


Gretchen Wilson has broken her silence about the Aug. 21 incident at a Connecticut airport that resulted in her arrest, telling Taste Country that she is "embarrassed," but that she can't say much more about it at this time. "I'm saddened by the whole thing," she told the site about the news she had to break to her mother and teenage daughter. "I don't know that I could say — I mean, I'm embarrassed that that situation got to where it was, but not personally."   

A week after her arrest following a "minor disturbance," the Grammy-winning country singer asked her fans to hang tight as she works her way through the legal system. "I want to thank my fans for their patience," Wilson wrote on her ficial Facebook page on Thursday (Aug. 23) in her first statement since the incident. 

"The unfortunate events that took place last Tuesday night are still an open case matter and so I can't discuss or comment on any specifics," she added. "I would like to respect the process, and am confident that the truth shall prevail." According to reports, Wilson, 45, was arrested at the Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, on Tuesday (Aug. 21) a day before she was to appear at a private event at the Mohegan Sun Casino. A spokesperson for Wilson could not be reached for comment about the incident.

Wilson told Taste Country that it's been "really frustrating" for her to not be able to talk about the details the arrest, "because people who know me know that I just wanna get it straight. I'm reading all these headlines am like, 'Oh gosh, it's so wrong, it's all so wrong!'" The site reported that on the night the incident, Wilson's mother and daughter were back in Tennessee waiting for a text letting them know she'd landed safely, one that came an hour late and with some news they weren't expecting.

"I got a bunch WTFs and question marks, is kind what I got," Wilson said. "They weren't worried though. They could tell by my texting and you know, what I was saying to them, that I was going to be okay." The Associated Press reported that State police were dispatched to the airport in response to a call about a "minor disturbance" on an incoming American Airlines flight. While interviewing Wilson on the jetway, “she became belligerent towards the troopers, and caused a disturbance,” police said in a report. The "Redneck Woman" singer -- who was reportedly involved in an altercation with another passenger on the flight -- was charged with second-degree breach peace and ordered to appear in Superior Court on Sept. 13 for a hearing on the matter. 

Wilson's next scheduled tour date is a Sept. 1 gig at the Obetz Zuccinifest in Obetz, Ohio.